Re: Free trains in Sydney on Monday

Glen Burns wrote:

> It should be free, as at the moment the current fare system is a joke... a
> complete utter joke.

Should that be unfare?

> The suggestion this is a communist policy is a confused and unclear view, as
> there is no suggestion to have a communistic rule but to have the government
> provide a simple and effecient service to the citizens. The basis of
> government, for example is it communist to provide a service???? i think
> not.

I didn't suggest we should be ruled by Communism, I simply expressed my
(cynical) view of current Australian politics that it would probably
only work in a communist environment. By implication, this suggests that
the current politicians would probably not have the guts to make the
decision, a point I made in a later post. Please also refer to my later
posts, where I considered others' comments, and hence reviewed my own.

> It would prmote equalitly and reduce the problems of the current system and
> save this country MILLIONS and would save people who drive a LOT OF MONEY
> AND SANITY AND TIME....

Agreed.

> Imgaine all the staff savings that could be made. A cash free enviroment,
> less security risks, less costs in collecting revenue. Ticket sellers could
> concentrate on prviding information and cleaning the station. Office space
> could be sold to maybe a retail shop at some stations or conveted into
> something useful....
> No revenue protection people to pay, no tickets to print, no backoffice
> stuffing around... no tickets to check ... no need for the useless ticket
> machines... the list goes on.

As someone else and I mentioned in an earlier post, the environmental
benefits would be enormous if people used it.

> It is about time that we get something for paying for our taxes. And
> considering also, that the tax collection system despite it floors is more
> fair and effiecent in charging people than the current fare charging ways.

You've just got to convince the various governments that *selling* stuff
isn't good policy. I've noticed the SA Opposition leader is making
noises about that very thing as part of the Clayton's election campaign
going on over there.

> The amount of money wasted on roads for so many years could be eliminated
> completly, as who would drive to the shop or whatever if the bus/train would
> take them for free. Then they coudl justifiy spending the money they should
> on publixc transport and could fund it what a lazy $2 a week in tax, which
> would be more for those who earn more and less for those who earn less.

I suspect most people would drive to the shop. Very few would be
interested in wrestling a few bags of shopping around while trying to
get on a bus. Equally, people who don't have/can't afford to have a car
would find free public transport great: no stuffing around trying to
feed tickets into slots while handling said shopping bags.

> What a great idea. A pity the country is run by a bunch of people that would
> be good communists that appear to be inflexable and are only there to buy
> the votes of the car going public who are congesting our cities for there
> own personal greed and inconsideration of those around them.

My point exactly (about the pollies anyway).

Pee Aitch
--
 Peter Homann