Re: defect detectors?

"Paul Jones" <dj_wiseguy2_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
9c3pug$btkme$1@ID-65853.news.dfncis.de">news:9c3pug$btkme$1@ID-65853.news.dfncis.de...
| "Bruce Greening" <norrail@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
| > Mark wrote:
| >
| > > Group, are there defect detectors in australia, or just usa?
| > > and if not, why is this just a usa system of safety.
| > > thanks
| >
| > There are certainly Hot box detectors, wheel impact detectors, draging
| > equipment detectors in use on several Aust. systems.
| >

| What do these look like, and what do they do??

A Wheel Impact Load Detector (WILD) is a small piece of trackside equipment
connected to a signalbox/control centre which measures the impact of wheels
on the rail. It was brought in after an NRC train on the north derailed
after leaving a trail of destruction from a broken wheel. Half the wheel was
missing. There are a few around, I think Emu Plains, Heathcote, Maitland
have them.