Re: Brisbane - Melbourne inland rail expressway

"> I seems a crazy idea to me to build a complete new railway in the outback
> just to enable trains to haul double stacked containers at a faster speed
> than they do on the old line.

I think the line is not exactly brand new line, it will be partially upgrade
the existing line in the outback.

>Wouldn't it be more practical to just upgrade
> the old line.

It would cost alot of money, Brisbane-Sydney (aka North Coast line) is very
curvey, steep grades. There are far too many low speed sections along the
line especially north of Grafton and around Border loop.
Furthermore You would need to find a path within Sydney Cityrail section or
else you would need to build completely new line avoid Sydney. Freigth train
rarely can top 115kph on North Coast line.

>Will this new line ever show a profit? or didn't anyone think
> of that.
> Also what gauge will it be?

SG

> > >My question is, what will this line carry that the coastal line can't?
> >
> > Double Stacked Containers

And freight trains that can run at 115 kph for a long strech, do
Brisbane-Melbourne within 24 hours.

Cheers
James