Tumut line (NSW)

There was mention in a recent issue of Railway Digest about talk of
re-opening the Cootamundra to Tumut branch line. I'm just wondering how
possible this would be. On a recent trip driving from Sydney to Melbourne, I
noticed that the apex of a sharp curve just south of Gundagai has
disappeared, due to the upgrading of the Hume Highway. This appears to be
the same location pictured on page 55 of "Remember When II". I imagine that
there would need to be a lot of work involved just to reinstate that section
of track. I asume that the railways still owns the line as it was never
officially closed by an Act of Parliament. Does this mean the RTA would have
to compensate the SRA if the line were re-opened? It would be great to see
this line open again as there would certainly be rail tours run. I took a
few pics of Gundagai station on that road trip and posted them on my model
railway site www.byroncreek.50megs.com/gundagai.html The locals have done a
fine job of restoring the station and preserving the old rail and road
bridges over the river.

Byron Creek
www.byroncreek.50megs.com