Re: R766 damage

Oh well, seeing as the info is about to be grapevined and got wrong, I can
fill in on what I have seen of the engine. Engine was sighted on Monday at
Steamrail. All damage is on drivers side.

Connecting rod, not sighted, presumably fairly damaged.
Eccentric rod, not sigted, presumed damaged.
Other Valve gear appeared relatively intact.
Main reservoir tank missing, ripped off in the incident, presumed damaged.
Blow down valve missing, ripped off in incident, presumed stuffed
Trailing truck slightly gouged having received blows from con rod.
Hole punched thru running board app 4' from cab, damage done by con rod.
Other minor damage to pipes etc around running board.

There may well be other damage to the engine which will not be revealed
until a full inspection is carried out. There was no sign of a broken spoke
although there were scrape marks in the paint on the driving wheels
indicating light contact at least.

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne