Re: [NSW] Derailment Freightcorp coal train Hurstville 12/4/01 - pictures

I'll preface by saying I don't know the exact spot, the rail layout or the
circumstances, BUT, wouldn't it seem more likely to have breached a
catchpoint if all subsequent vehicles to the derailed lead locomotive had
likewise been derailed? From what limited amount of track is visible in the
photos I can't see how a catchpoint could be located so close to a set of
points. And if the catchpoint were further back (as would seem more logical)
it should have derailed more of the train as well as having diverted the
derailed vehicles away from a running line rather than towards it.
Just a thought.

20010419.084554.2103318776.10861@holly.aitch.ucc.usyd.edu.au">news:20010419.084554.2103318776.10861@holly.aitch.ucc.usyd.edu.au...