Re: mel loop operation

"David McLoughlin" <davemcl*PISSOFFSPAMMERS*@iprolink.co.nzzzzz> wrote in
message 3AD8F5A7.181E@iprolink.co.nzzzzz">news:3AD8F5A7.181E@iprolink.co.nzzzzz...
> As someone who was growing up in Melbourne while the loop was being
> built, the main stated aim was to provide a better distribution of
> passengers around the CBD. Previously almost all passengers had to get
> off at Flinders Street (a small number at Spencer Street) and walk or
> catch trams to their destinations in the CBD. It was claimed that the

I remember meeting my mum at her work in the Commonwealth Buildings (now
demolished; corner of Spring and LaTrobe Streets), and going home by way of
a tram down Swanston Street to Flinders Street Station, then the St Kilda
train and connecting 600 bus!

> loop would make Latrobe Street a real estate mecca the way Yonge Street
> in Toronto developed after the underground there opened in 1954, but
> I've yet to see much sign of this on my irregular visits back home --
> Latrobe Street still seems a backwater.

I don't know how it was in the 70s, but now there are a few big office
blocks around Melbourne Central (as well as on top of Melbourne Central).
RMIT has expanded, and there are new apartments going up (or maybe they're
finished?) on the corner of LaTrobe and Queen Streets. As well as the new
courts that Vaughan has mentioned.

Daniel

--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia