Re: tilt train make XPT looks bad

Rjaygee wrote:

> But is Queensland Rail making any money out of it or is just full of greedy
> concesssion fare pensioners?

Either way, QR gets the money as the authorities pay the difference. It
seems to be doing pretty well in terms of income for a passenger train
in modern Australia.

> In Queensland we do have a very nice and
> effective sytem for Qld but it still doesn't really intergrate well with the
> rest of the National system due to them sticking with 3' 6" gauge.

Can't be helped now. The break of guage at Roma Street is hardly onerous
at any rate, and QR certainly can't be blamed for CountryLink's
atrocious timetabling of the XPT. 5AM arrivals, sheesh &c.

> It is
> unfortunate that any Federally sourced funds did not stipulate they could
> only be spent on standard gauge projects.  I suspect in 10 years or so a
> decision will be made to gauge convert all viable lines to std gauge.

With all due respect, Rod, you're on crack.

Please consider the size of the entire QR system (enormous), and the
huge cost involved in converting just the most viable lines to standard
guage! To be blunt, that just isn't going to happen - ever. QR would
probably just say (and quite rightly so) that they're doing just fine
with 1.067 metres, thank you.

Building entirely new infrastructure, such as the proposed dual-guage
line through Toowoomba are an entirely different matter. I doubt QR is
ignoring the possibilities therein.

--
Rob K
http://members.optushome.com.au/mammal