Re: Gold Coast Light Rail - a stupid question

Kerry <kerry@NO_SPAMcapebyron.com> wrote in message
db7B6.651$W7.2691@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:db7B6.651$W7.2691@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Why wasnt the Beenleigh to Robina rail line built via Southport, Surfers
> Paradise, Broadbeach etc? Why build a railway from Beenleigh to the
outback
> then build a light rail to service it? Also at Robina, Nerang and
Helensvale
> the stations are out in the middle of nowhere in old cow paddocks. Wouldnt
> it have been more sensible to build them near or under the major shopping
> centers in these outback towns. Also what happened to the idea of more
urban
> style living. Isnt this rail line encouraging a mammoth and costly (money
> and environment) urban prawl west of the Gold Coast. Sorry for asking such
> stupid questions, but I'm not a polititian.

The Robina station is located in an ideal place. Close to the highway, and
only a few minutes drive from Robina, a major (and still rapidly growing)
suburb. Ormeau station, on the other hand... nobody seems to ever get on or
off from this station...