Re: [melb] yearly met cards

"Daniel Borowski" <boffa@NOSPAMaltavista.net> wrote in message
B6FA746D.6E01%boffa@NOSPAMaltavista.net">news:B6FA746D.6E01%boffa@NOSPAMaltavista.net...
> in article ccVA6.983$8u1.5353@news-server.bigpond.net.au, Daniel Bowen at
> dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au wrote on 11/04/01 7:10 PM:
> > Maybe I'm missing something, but why are they that expensive? Don't they
use
> > the same Smart technology as Telstra payphone cards? Those appear to be
dirt
> > cheap.
> >
> Not exactly, metcard xpress would be contactless and, as was previously
> stated, use some small computer thingy to operate.  These cards are
> expensive.  My work has thousands of staff with proximity based access
cards
> (ie the same as a metcard express card) and they pay about $9 to buy a new
> card from the card manufacturer.  By comparison, swipe cards (eg magnetic
> strip) are very cheap.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Make me wonder

- how much Telstra pay for their phonecards (which of course are neither
magnetic swipe cards or contactless - at least I presume they're not)

- why on earth ERG chose something that expensive for Metcard XPress. (Why?
Because it fits in with the over budget nature of the rest of the project)

Getting back to the original question, why don't they make the yearly
Metcards out of the same tougher stuff that the Baysider tickets are
apparently made out of?

> Daniel!

Uh oh, two Daniel Bo* s!

Daniel