Re: [melb] yearly met cards

in article ccVA6.983$8u1.5353@news-server.bigpond.net.au, Daniel Bowen at
dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au wrote on 11/04/01 7:10 PM:

> "Railvic" <railvic@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
> 3AD3AFB1.13D51205@iprimus.com.au">news:3AD3AFB1.13D51205@iprimus.com.au...
>> Are you willing to pay $25 to have your damaged Metcard Xpress
>> replaced?  Keep in mind these cards are not inserting into validators
>> (instead read by the yellow external spot), therefore, if such request
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but why are they that expensive? Don't they use
> the same Smart technology as Telstra payphone cards? Those appear to be dirt
> cheap.
>

> Daniel
> --
> Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
> dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au
> Melbourne public transport FAQ http://www.custard.net.au/melbtrans/

Not exactly, metcard xpress would be contactless and, as was previously
stated, use some small computer thingy to operate.  These cards are
expensive.  My work has thousands of staff with proximity based access cards
(ie the same as a metcard express card) and they pay about $9 to buy a new
card from the card manufacturer.  By comparison, swipe cards (eg magnetic
strip) are very cheap.

As an aside, Melbourne Central smartpark uses a card that looks and operates
along exactly the same lines as a phonecard but, if you lose it, they charge
$25 to replace.

Daniel!