Gold Coast Light Rail

Read an article in last weekends Gold Coast Bulletin that the Light Rail
proposal for the city will not go ahead now, due to the Federal Governments
decision not to provide the necessary funding.

They are now mooting either an elevated light rail system, or a monorail,
claiming that it's cheaper.

I'm not very knowledgeable about various forms of rail, but I would have
thought that something like a monorail would be the best option in the first
place. Being elevated, it wouldn't take up room on existing roads, it could
go faster because pedestrians wouldn't be on it, etc.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to a monorail like system. And are
there any cities around the world that have used a monorail as their primary
means of public transport?

Thanks for your time.

Ewan Fleming