Re: Rail tragedy triggers review of crossings

"Matthew Geier" <matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au> >
>  I think the level crossing 'problem' is actually part of a far larger
problem
> with the certification and operational skill of operators of motor
vehicals.

Agreed-

Sydney users of this group may have heard some comments on ABC Local Radio
last Monday regarding the opening of the bridge at Bulli Public School (in
the Wollongong area.)

The comments from one person at the Bulli School P&C were horrifying - to
the extent that the crossing ended up equipped with -

Traffic Lights
A school Crossing Keep
A Red Light Camera and (at one stage)
A Uniformed RTA Person with note pad -

And cars still went through the red lights!

Some of you might know that it took the death of a child under a car driven
by an 80 YO (Approx) woman for the RTA to decide to use the abandoned
private railway bridge at the location as a footbridge.

I now ask-

Can we expect any level crossing protection of any level to actually work? I
suspect that the answer is no. The least level required would probably be a
gated crossing with 4 working barriers that DO NOT BEND when struck - these
would than become a huge danger on their own.

I suggest that the real answer may be unworkable - replace all crossings
with overbridges at Public Expense OR start removing ALL driving licences
permanently for even minor offences and jailing for being caught driving
without a licence.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury World Travel