RE: Remove City Loop trains from Burnley group lines

>Mike it will be "interesting" for Burnley group train to use Caulfield
>loop both at Richmond and Spencer Street.  For starter, the Caulfield
>loop portal is too close to the end of Richmond platform to allow a
>flyover to be constructed and allow Burnley group trains to access.  At
>Spencer Street, Burnley trains will have to cross a few paths in order
>to get back to the correct track before Flinders Street.  Since you have
>suggested building new Loop ramps, taking the current environment into
>account, I think this will only be a wishful thinking (especially when
>every government channels more money to roads than public transport).

And even if we did suddenly have plenty of money to spend on new
infrastructure, I can think of many more worthwhile things to spend it on
than
a railway spaghetti junction when there is already a perfectly satisfactory
solution to the problems of the city loop.

>As a side track, commuters on the Belgrave/Lilydale lines are still
>waiting on the Brack Govt. election promise of having third track
>between Blackburn and Mitcham.  According to our local paper a couple
>weeks back, the Govt. spokesperson stated this will be achieved by the
>end of their first term.  I somehow don't believe this will ever happen,
>because they need to grade separate Middleborough, Blackburn, Springvale
>and Mitcham Roads and they will cost $$$$$$$$$.  Otherwise those boom
>gates will be down more frequently than now and nowadays those roads are
>already like carparks during peak hour.  If you have to drive on
>Springvale Road between Canterbury Road and Maroondah Highway during
>arvo peak, make sure you allow good 20 minutes for this 2km section!!  I
>got caught once and now avoid it totally!!

If they've got a billion dollars for the Scoresby Freeway, then they can
afford to deliver on their election promise of a 3rd track. Grade separating
these level crossings would provide an opportunity to improve the bus/rail
interchanges, and would do more for traffic flow than any freeway ever
would.

>Don't forget some customers already complaining about existing services,
>I can just imagine the complaint generated by the "musical platforms" in
>those loop stations.  The current loop platform setup is consistant and
>less confusing.

I agree, I think most would prefer to have a consistent platform to get
their
train from.

>Yes $$$$$$$$$$$, which the State Government is not willing to spend on
>public transport and private operators are not obligate to construct ...

And even if they were, there are better things to do with the money.

Vaughan

Vaughan Williams
Secretary
Public Transport Users Association