Re: Old Sydneham goods yard (NSW)

paul <paulwatts@xoptushome.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:17:26 +1000, "Philip Shortus"
> <Shortus@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> >Hey,
> >Can anybody give me any information on the (old) Sydneham goods yard, and
> >siding, near the station, it was closed in th 1960s and was replaced by
> >Cooks River railway yard.
>
> I shunted Sydenham in the late 70's. It seems it stayed open for quite
> a long time after Cooks was built, but was rarely used. Many of the
> larger stations in the Sydney area still had goods yards at that time
> (Fairfield, Rockdale, Hurstville, Liverpool, St Marys, Ashfield, the
> list goes on).
>
> I can recall an old goods shed and an N to R release, and it had two
> or three roads, but thats about all I can tell you.

I can just recall there were a few really ancient 4 wheel goods wagons
that seemed to be permanently parked there. Since they were cream in
colour and had hook and chain couplings, I suppose they were just
storage vans. I wonder what happened to them - did they make it to
Dorrigo :-)

Adrian.

--
Dr A.P. Whichello                               Phone: +61 2 6201 2431
Electronics & Telecommunications Engineering  Fax: +61 2 6201 5041

"I wish to God these calculations had been executed by Steam!" C.Babbage