[Vicrail-News] [VIC] ARE/SWRail Swan Hill trip (31/3)

The ARE and SWRail operated a trip to Swan Hill today (31/3) with WCR
rolling stock. The consist from Melbourne was R766 - BK714 - BRS221 -
BZ267 - RMS2360 - PCP294.

Departure from Spencer Street was on time at approx 0700 and it arrived
in Bendigo just before 0930. Photostops were then held at Raywood at
1115, Pyramid at 1212, Kerang at about 1240 and Lake Charm - Mystic Park
(approx 309km post) at 1332 before arrival in Swan Hill at about 1400.
G527 and T413 were shut down in the yard on an up Wheat. Departure from
Swan Hill was at about 1604 and the final photostop for the day was held
at Lake Boga. The train arrived at Kerang at 1703 and as the loco didn't
need water we left at 1705, one minute before the scheduled arrival
time! As a result of this the tour arrived in Bendigo at 1847 instead of
1915, but due to loco servicing requirements and a down Swan Hill pass,
the train still had to wait until the scheduled departure time of 2000.
After a fast run home to Melbourne, we arrived in Spencer Street at
2212.

All the people from the ARE, SWRail and WCR involved with the
organisation and running of this tour should be congratulated for an
outstanding trip. It was just a pity that the ARE didn't get the number
of passengers they expected. If there are some people out there who have
been thinking of going on an ARE trip but haven't booked on one yet,
please consider supporting this group as they really do an excellent job
to provide different and highly enjoyable tours. Out of all the trips
I've been on, I have never been dissapointed by a trip organised by
Bruce McLaren.

In addition to an already great trip, we had the Dining Car on the
train. The staff were really good and the food was excellent. This is
certainly the best food I have ever had on a railfan trip! :-)

Here are two photos captured from MiniDV video:

R766 at the Raywood photostop:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/vidcaps/swan_hill/r766_raywood.jpg

R766 at the Pyramid photostop:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/vidcaps/swan_hill/r766_pyramid.jpg