Re: Road Knowledge For Dummies Pt2

Now that the computer's back out of the box I was actually thinking of a
down departure from Bankstown's platform 1.  Now this is where the fun
starts, I'm not referring to regs etc. but the driver's expectation
(justified or otherwise).

If you were sent from Bankstown platform 2 to the terminating road you would
expect to be terminated and run to platform 1 to form an up service.  You
would expect (??) the dwarf signal at the end of the terminating road to be
at danger and the catchpoints set to derail.

If you were sent from Bankstown platform 1 to the terminating road you would
expect to be a down service (destination Lidcombe or Liverpool etc.) so you
are being routed to the down line via the terminating road.  You would
expect  (??) the dwarf signal at the end of the terminating road to be clear
(single yellow) for the down line.

This is why I'm talking expectation rather than rules etc.  It appears that
expectation has produced many of the recent incidents (to use Qantas'
preferred terminology), coupled with inexperience in some cases, which have
afflicted CityRail.

Finally, exactly what were the movements of the train that was derailed?  If
it came from platform 1 then it stopping foul of the up line once derailed
is........

Chris

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
39CE9BA6.60A1E4A6@ozemail.com.au">news:39CE9BA6.60A1E4A6@ozemail.com.au...
> Chris Downs wrote:
>
> > Signalling that reflects the aspect of the next signal in advance is
such
> > situations would be even more beneficial.
> >
> > I believe the derailments at Bankstown and Concord West both have
inadequate
> > signalling as contributory factors.  Equal opportunity for the
experienced
> > and the inexperienced to be caught out alike.
>
> Concord West, yes.  Bankstown, no.  At Bankstown, the home signal would
have
> been at stop with a subsidiary shunting signal allowing entry to the loop.
That