Re: Thought exercise - steam VFT

        In re Dave's comments , he suggests using 5 x50 ton double-deck
coaches, would 50 tons with a double-decker  be possible with 1930's
technology, then he adds a 520 ton loco, so his train weight came out not
much different from mine. One has to move the loco as well as its trailing
load.
  He still has not dealt with the problem of ash build-up in the ashpan and
consequent choking of the grate, also the actual distribution of coal over
such a large grate would be difficult with the normal steam jet discharge
arrangements, and I still feel that the weakest part of his design is the
water pickup requirements .
                                              Regards,             Bill
Pearce.
qkbA5.16$WT1.3853@news0.optus.net.au">news:qkbA5.16$WT1.3853@news0.optus.net.au...