Re: Setting of Points

"Bernard Smith" <epping.smiths@gatewaynet.bigpond.com> wrote:

> With a train in the middle road, this is true at the City end, but not the
> Pymble end (albeit no movement is expected there).  What happens if
> a train comes to a rest and then continues northbound?!?

If it has been at rest and attempted proceed northbound without having
an appropriate signal indication, it would trip immediately on the
train stop and some to a quick halt.

> Another test is whether the opposite settings apply when trains terminate
> from the North.  Do the city end middle points face the Up until the train
> comes to a stop and then face the Down (allowing a train to move wrong
> way on the Down after stopping)?

As far as I'm aware the crossovers at each end of platform 2 at Gordon
are treated as ... crossovers between Up and Down, with the line
through platform 1 signalled as a loop of the Up line.

If train is heading Northbound (Down) into Platform 2, the crossover
at the northern is set to cross it back to the Down until the train
has come to halt and appropriate timeouts have cleared.  Once the time
out have cleared the crossover is set to straight on both turnouts to
allow Down trains to run normally through platform 3.

Similarly, when a Southbound (Up) train enters platform 2, the
turnouts of the southern crossover are set to straight to concurrently
allow Down trains to normally use platform 3 and remain that way
unless a crossing movement is signalled from Up to Down.

Cheers,

Bill