Re: [nsw]Tram Stalls on hill

> Did the early (pre 50s closure of the system) trams use that ramp,
> indeed did Central have a tram link back then?
>
> ... James
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

>From 1906 to 1957 trams used the colonnade in an anti-clockwise direction.
The layout was different in that there was a passing loop on the colonnade
and the track on the ramps was ballasted, no jay-walking pedestrians or car
parking for SRA staff.  Prior to the openning of the under-ground, 1926 St
James and 1932 Wynyard when all suburban trains terminated at Central, so
great was the demand for trams in the morning peak, that after a tram
arrived at Circular Quay from a suburban destination it had to do a Circular
Quay-  Central Station-Circular Quay loop before returning to the suburbs.

It is said that the Pitt St ramp is not as steeply graded as the Castlereagh
St one.
When driving up the ramp the driver has to keep to the 10 km/h limit at the
Hay Street corner, when the tram has covered about 30 metres the limit goes
up to    20 km/h.  Late on Tuesday morning I experienced  a slippery ascent.
After entering the ramp I started to apply power at the 20 km/h mark and the
"Slip/Slide" light on the dash board winked on, this indicates either
spinning or skidding wheels.  The technique is back off power slightly and
when the light goes out reapply power gently, and I mean gently.  I had the
sander going and with frequent adjustments to power climbed up the ramp at
about 15 km/h. A ham-fisted driver will try to apply more and more power as
speed drops, hoping for for some grip, works sometimes but the wheels can
lose all grip and the result is loss of all forward motion, hence a stall.
Due to the long dry spell there had been a build up of crushed leaves,
stones and rubbish in the grove of the tramway style rail.  It is possible
that the wheel flange was resting on this build up and taking part of the
weight of the tram resulting in less than 100% traction at the wheel tyre.
By Wednesday morning the heavy rain and run-off had cleaned out the groove.

Ted