Re: bonus for cityrail

Marc Hunt <march@pip.com.au> wrote in article <39d24a9e@news>:

>Everyone on this news group dummy spits over picture attachments on
>postings because they make the post "too big" and it costs so much to
>down load these big files, but they will happily include the entire
>lengthy text of a previous post in a reply !
>There was a saying on the job "when you're right, you're wrong. And when
>you're wrong, you're wrong to buggery"
>it appears that still applys.

<flamebait>

Quoting relevant text differs a lot from sending attachments.  Quoting
relevant text is good practice, since, as Tezza says, you can easily lose
track of conversation. Your reply to someone elses text then becomes
ambiguous. Each news reader tracks threads in different ways - some don't
track at all, so it's very easy to misunderstand someones reply simply
because they didn't quote.

Quoting the whole text on the other hand is also bad. As with not editing
your post. First generation quotes generally precede with ">", and ">>" for
second generation and so forth. There tends to be no need to quote any more
than second generation text anyway. A couple of people on this newsgroup
seem to have a habit of quoting their own text (i.e. inserting ">" in front
of their own text).

There are quite a few people on this group who should read up on
netiquette. Complacency will only make this newsgroup worse given time.

</flamebait>

M.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).