Re: Illawara Tangaras

whitewaterhead@my-deja.com wrote:

> 1. Are there actually any Tangaras servicing the Illawara line? Exactly
> how many of the 20-odd Sector 1 T-sets run on the Illawara line? (not
> during games period)

Yes.  Runs 1 to 6 are 8 car tangaras running in Sector 1.

> The only Tangaras I've seen on this line seem to be only for the
> intercity services.

That is not true.

> -rarely one/two 8 car T-sets do the Bondi Junction - Waterfall service
> on a LUCKY day

Remembering that a train from Waterfall goes back to Cronulla from Bondi.

> i.e. Weekends
>
> -some Bondi Junct - Waterfall services done by 4 car T-sets

On a normal weekend every train in Sector 1 is tabled to be a 4 car tangara.

> -Bondi Junction to Central only service (after 6pm) are 4 car T-sets
> Maybe it's the same train.....

One of the same 12 trains (6 X 8 car sets divided into 12 X 4 car sets)

> Also I have yet to see a Tangara do the Bondi Junction - Cronulla
> service or the Bondi Junct - Hurstville/Mortdale/Sutherland (all stops)
> service.

You really need to spend more time down here!

> Cronulla services are always crappy 8 car S-sets
> (weekdays/weekends/night services)

No.  About half weekdays, and all weekend/night services are tangaras.

> while the Waterfall/All Stops
> services are mostly R-sets (extremely packed trains in peak hour)

I wouldn't say that.

> Cityrail is crazy to run 6 cars trains in high peak.

They only have so many carriages to run.

> In contrast when I interchange at Town Hall for a North Shore service,
> I always get to travel in a G/T set Tangara or an K set (old train with
> a/c!) and during the peak hours sometimes an R/S set from
> Penrith/Richmond. Hornsby via Strathfield services are especially
> good - always an G/T set.

Not always.

> On weekends Hornsby suburban services are sometimes 4 car G-sets ...
> very cool

The Air Conditioner may need adjustment. :)

> 2. Will a/c eventually be fitted for the old Illawara R/S-sets like the
> K-sets?

No.   Whilst some people like to think they will, It would be necessary to
obtain 415V from somewhere - readily available on K sets, but not on S/R sets.
A new power supply would need to be fitted in addition to all new ducting and
ventilation equipment - this was all built into the K sets from the outset.

> 3. Will any of the new 4GT trains service the Illawarra line or are
> they only for Sector 3 like the K-sets? (i.e. for the new Paramatta -
> Chatswood link)

I don't think anybody knows where they are going to go yet.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au