Re: [NSW] Olympics observations - Fri 22/09/00

bpmsmith@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <ogkz5.5053$O7.78765@ozemail.com.au>,
>   "Chris Downs" <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > Some other items:
> > An 8 car S-set put in an impressive 4 car overshoot on the up at
> > International Terminal station at one point.  Of course an 80m
> reversal was
> > required.
>
> Does that mean that an S set needs more than 240m to pull up?  (240m =
> 8 car lengths + overshoot)

On certain occasions, yes.  Factors affecting braking include grade, piston
travel, speed, adhesion, tulloch, K, etc.

Remember that International is difficult to stop at if you are not familiar with
the line.  From 80 km/h with an S set, I make a full service E.P. application at
signal SR 8.8 to stop at signal SR 8.2, a distance of 716 metres.  On most
trains I can release the brakes whilst running along the platform, but some
Flemington sets, especially with a few tullcohs included, require emergency
braking to stop in time.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au