Re: Thought exercise - steam VFT

David Bromage wrote:

> James Brook (ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> > David Bromage wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's an interesting paper exercise. Suppose a multi squillionaire had
> > > decided to build a 200mph train between Melbourne and Sydney in the late
> > > 40s or early 50s with the technology available at the time.
> > >
> > > What sort of steam locomotive would have been required for such a service?
>
> > If this were at all possible back then, I would suggest that a
> > lightweight diesel electric streamliner similar to the CB&Q Zephyr would
> > be the most likely choice.
>
> That's not the object of the exercise. See if you can design a steam loco
> to do it.

The only possibility I can think of would be some sort of steam-electric
type of loco. Ie: the steam from the boiler drives a turbine and then
the electricity generated is used by traction motors. If this was built,
it would probably be extremely large and heavy, ie: not suited for high
speed running. If this is the case then the exercise it rather pointless
because in the 40's or 50's lightweight diesel technology would be much
cheaper and probably a lot more feasible.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au