Re: Latest news on Speedrail

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 06:27:05 GMT, "Peter Berrett"
<pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>Hmmm
>
>One partner pulled out and a deadline that has come and gone.
>
>I really want this railway to happen as if it gets up and going it will be
>the catalyst for high speed rail all around Australia.
>
>But I think in the end the skeptics look as though they will be proved right
>again. It looks as though the entire shebang will prove to be nothing more
>than hot air.
>
>I'm disappointed...
>
>Peter

I wonder also what effect the falling Australian dollar will have on
this project and on the other major railway projects like AP to Darwin
given that most of the finance required for both projects will be
written in $US dollars .
The $A was in the high 70s when the successful consortium for AP to
Darwin was chosen .
The only benefit , if any of the falling $A is that foreign bidders
for Westrail,NRC and FC will get them cheaper.

MD