Re: Melbourne on track for a connie comeback

> Melbourne will get 100 new tram conductors at the end of the
> year, but nobody knows what they will wear, how they will
> operate or where they will be stationed.
> And with just 100 to serve the city's enormous tram network,
> passengers might have to take a very long ride before they see
> one.
Possibly busiest routes would get them first like 86 and 96. IIRC they
had 233 before Jeff/Robin decided to kick them off the trams. This is a
bit like Amsterdam isn't it? Amsterdam was like Melbourne, introduced
ticket machines to replace connies before they discovered fare evasion
rise dramatically and forced them to reintroduce connies.

> Connie supporters say the new taxpayer-funded tram conductors
> should wear traditional uniforms (the green of the 1980s or the
> brown of the 1970s), complete with leather bag, and perform the
> traditional roles of bell-ringing, ticketing and passenger
> assistance.
They might wear Yarra or Swanston's uniform.

> "Passengers will be met with the familiar sounds of conductors
> calling `fares please' and they will have the assurance that the
> friendly tram conductor will always be there to offer assistance
> and advice," says a submission to the Victorian Government from
> the Public Transport Users Association, the Rail, Tram and Bus
> Union and the I Prefer a Tram Conductor Coalition.
> But with fare evasion a serious problem, private transport
> operators would like to see the new connies cracking down on
> fare evaders by checking tickets and collecting the names and
> addresses of fare dodgers so they can be fined $100.
hmmm... a little bit touch of the RPOs......actually some of the
connies became RPOs and some became drivers. After reintroducetion of
connies, do we still need RPOs on trams in the future??

> Months of intense negotiations between the government, operators
> and lobby groups will end soon with Transport Minister Peter
> Batchelor expected to make an announcement next month.
> Tram conductors were part of Melbourne's tram system for 112
> years. Now they are set to return, albeit in diminished numbers.
> They may not look like they used to, nor do what they used to,
> but many people will welcome them back.
Safer to travel on trams as well....Drivers then can concentrate on
roads rather then taking care of passengers while driving.

--
Cheers

RR3

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/