Re: dynamometercar

When the tractive effort testing of NR`s occured Gonads engineers used
electronic measuring devices on the pulling faces of the auto on the loco
and the first vehicle.
They did lease ex SRA stainless steel cars and run lash ups to Werris Creek
in the very early days but I understand this was mainly to test having a
train behind and as accomadation for the engineers etc.
NR19 was one loco that was fitted up and ran around like this for months
this was so as to evaulate the tractive effort and the installed software
over varying terain and track profiles.
I suppose the reason why the dyno car concept has gone west is that of the
electronic advancements that have occured in the last few years, after all
it is 2000.
Steve