Re: Truganini Road, Carnegie

"Napier" <napier@vicnet.net.au> wrote in message
%PKt5.11135$cr3.317002@ozemail.com.au">news:%PKt5.11135$cr3.317002@ozemail.com.au...
> <excerpt>
> >I don't believe so - there's no mention of it in the book I read about
the
> >history of Caulfield - which has an excellent account of the Rosstown
> >railway debacle.
>
> >If anybody wants full details of the book with all the Rosstown goss in
it,
> >let me know.
>
> Daniel, thanks for this information.  Yeah, I would be interested in the
> details of that book; please post back.  When was the actual line removed?

"From sand, swamp and heath - A history of Caulfield"
Peter R Murray and John C Wells. City of Caulfield, 1980.

Probably a bit scarce, but I'll bet you can find a copy at the Glen Eira
library. I got mine when they were selling them for a couple of bucks each.
I live in Caulfield, and find local history kinda interesting... The main
description of the Rosstown Junction Railway starts on p140.

Not sure when the lines were removed, but the book says the Rosstown Railway
Acts were repealed in 1916, and the rails sold to a company in Tas. Around
the same time, Caulfield Council was buying the land, which is why a lot of
it is now park land.

> Is the remaining bridge (I read that in this newsgroup somewhere) the one
> that is used by the Frankston line over Oakleigh Road?  If so, did the two
> lines not actually cross but went under/over each other?

Yes, p144 mentions the Commissioner for Railways wanted the intersection not
to be a level one - given the shoddy condition (both literally and
financially) of the Rosstown Railway, I could see why he might not want to
have anything to do with it! -- although the diagram on p137 suggests there
was a turn out from Rosstown railway west to Frankston line south.

[...]

> <further issue>
> On another note, was there ever a siding (is that the correct term?) that
> ran off the Frankston Line between Neerim Road and the Caulfield junction?
> To be exact, just south of Lord Street running east... the termination of
> Lloyds Avenue and St Vincent Street suggest there was.  Could there have
> once been a triangle-type formation in the line to enable Dandenong trains
> to turn south onto the Frankston line directly without going into
Caulfield?

I haven't seen any mention of it in the above mentioned book,

--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au