Re: [QLD] New Citytrain TT: More Trains

"Leigh Kirwan" <lalkirwa@pop-gc.gu.edu.au> wrote in message
39C8530B.1BEE812A@pop-gc.gu.edu.au">news:39C8530B.1BEE812A@pop-gc.gu.edu.au...
Unfortunately, although all train working numbers are
> given in the public timetables, there is no clue as to what the prefixes
> mean.  This would have been a useful addition to the fleet information
> pages.

That would take up about 3 pages in itself.

> Even for non-enthusiasts, those in the know can tell whether a
> train is provided with toilet facilities or not, but rather than provide
> an explanation, the new timetables have a WC over those services so
> fitted.

So what's the problem?

> (Prefixes in the Citytrain timetables are: J - 3 car suburban;
> 1 - 6 car suburban; X - Intercity; U - 3 car Gold Coast style IMU
> (U-Boats ride again?!); T - 6 car IMU).

What is a "Gold Coast style IMU"? I have never seen or heard of them before.

> Probably due to
> the fact that the terminating third platforms at Zillmere and Strathpine
> are now part of the new third road, there are no longer terminating
> services at these locations.  All these trains have been extended to or
> from Petrie.

This may be so but the new signalling arrangements at both Zillmere and
Strathpine allow for a terminating train to turn back provided it is on the
Middle Road.

> Although most trains are unchanged, some are altered by a couple of
> minutes and there are lots of new trains and extensions.  Doomben and
> Yeerongpilly/Corinda trains are still only hourly, but in general the
> new timetables are a positive improvement.

Except the Shorncliffe line which misses out YET AGAIN. Why is it that the
Shorncliffe line maintains a 30 minute service through the evening peak plus
2 additional services between 1715 and 1745 hours while every other line
gets saturated with trains from 1600 to 1800 hours?

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, Australia

Email - mattyq1009@dingoblue.net.au

Notice - All comments and opinions made herein are that of the author only
and do not represent the official view of QR. All text included in this post
(and/or reply) is copyright to the author. This message may not be
reproduced in whole or in part without the express written permission of the
author.