[vic] anyone seen THIS Metcard behaviour?

I have a monthly ticket, due to expire on September the 16th.  That's
that expiry date printed on the back, and that's the expiry date that
validators always flash at me when I put the ticket in.

Today at Box Hill the validator said "expires 17/9/00". Thinking I'd
misread it, I put the ticket back in to go out again. Again it said
the 17th.

So I went up to the person checking tickets and said what had
happened.  I put it in a different validator, right in front of him,
and again it said the 17th.  He just said "well, at least it read it".

When I arrived at my home station (St Albans line), I put it in the
validator there. It said "expires 16/9/00", as normal.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

I wonder if it would be possible to put the ticket in at Box Hill on
the 17th, have it accepted as valid, then get caught on the way out at
Flinders St.  What do you think my chances would be of them believing
my story?

And I wonder if new tickets being validated at Box Hill are getting an
extra day on them.