Re: Truganini Road, Carnegie

<excerpt>
>I don't believe so - there's no mention of it in the book I read about the
>history of Caulfield - which has an excellent account of the Rosstown
>railway debacle.

>If anybody wants full details of the book with all the Rosstown goss in it,
>let me know.

Daniel, thanks for this information.  Yeah, I would be interested in the
details of that book; please post back.  When was the actual line removed?
Is the remaining bridge (I read that in this newsgroup somewhere) the one
that is used by the Frankston line over Oakleigh Road?  If so, did the two
lines not actually cross but went under/over each other?

<excerpt>
>The Rosstown Railway went parrallel to Dover Street, Marara Road, Oakleigh
>Road, to Packer Park (where the sugar works were) then Murrumbeena Crescent
>to the Dandenong line, midway between Hughesdale and Oakleigh.

I had pretty much figured out the route of the Rosstown Railway from looking
at the Melway map.  In fact I recently moved out of a house in Hughesdale
that backs onto Freda Street.  I can't believe I would stroll through
Galbally Reserve several times a week not realising it was, quite obviously,
the site where the eastern end of the Rosstown branched off.

<further issue>
On another note, was there ever a siding (is that the correct term?) that
ran off the Frankston Line between Neerim Road and the Caulfield junction?
To be exact, just south of Lord Street running east... the termination of
Lloyds Avenue and St Vincent Street suggest there was.  Could there have
once been a triangle-type formation in the line to enable Dandenong trains
to turn south onto the Frankston line directly without going into Caulfield?

Pippin