Re: Signaller causes SPAD

> I have no problem whatsoever with signal electricians / engineers
> performing
> their duties re maintainance, repairs, tests etc. I DO have a
> problem with
> these people commencing work, and (against regulations) NOT
> informing train
> control or signallers what they are doing, where they are doing
> it, or
> indeed that they are there at all !!
> I would rather be told that I will get a delay, because 123.4 is
> being held
> at stop due to signal electricians, than come around a corner and
> find 123.5
> go from green to red in my face because one of the Wit brothers
> (either Dim
> Wit, Half Wit, or F**k Wit) has just pulled a fuse to start work
> without
> telling anyone.
> Russ.

Well all it sounds like is that you've got a gripe with your local
bloke who probably peeved you off one day by doing just that. However
he should have followed procedures before he disconnected any
equipment. And the only person allowed to touch working signalling
equipment is the Maintenence Electrician. No one else is allowed.
Period. I have keys to access RAC signal locations but I'm not allowed
to touch the equipment. And if I do something stupid and I delay trains
then I can be hit for liquidated damages. And I think the rate is $50
per train per minute of delayed time. So that can quickly add up. But
that's better than manslaughter. So as you can see we don't stuff
around out there.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

* Sent from Novell Discussion Forums http://novell.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *