Re: Cityrail Delays

Dirty Harry wrote:

> The reason why the cronulla line got yo-yos was to provide a service and
> isolate delays  especially with the two single line sections as once trains
> are late crossing margins are very diffcult to maintain.

That was one reason.  Another was that the yo-yos were long trains with a high
carrying capacity.

> Considering your a
> cityrail employee you don't understand too much about how the system works.

What evidence do you base this on?

> Maybe you should go up to Operations or Train Control and see just what is
> involved instead of you narrow minded opinions.

I don't need to.  I was there, driving the yo-yos.  I was on 5 hours without
crib to keep the trains moving.  I talked to Operations a number of times during
the night to keep them appraised of the situation.  What really screwed the
yo-yos up (causing 40 minute gaps between trains) was Sutherland box.  They
would not answer the radio all night, and picked the most illogical way of
running a yo-yo I have ever seen.  For instance, on one trip, I arrived at the
home signal at Sutherland, but the road was set for platform 1.  I tried to call
him to question it, as you cannot return from platform 1 to Cronulla.  He did
not answer the radio.  I eventually took the road.  Then, to shunt onto platform
3, instead of going towards Jannali and changing ends, I had to change ends, go
towards Loftus on the down main, change ends, get flagged past a failed signal,
shunt to platform 3, then change ends again.  Why did we have to do it this
way?  They certainly wouldn't tell me.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au