Re: [WA] Rail sale brings $585m

In article <kGoL5.41$F65.4859@news0.optus.net.au>,
  dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> The WA Government ticked off another privatisation yesterday with the
sale
> of Westrail's freight business for $585 million. The Australian
Railroad
> Group, a joint venture between Wesfarmers and Genesee & Wyoming Inc,
had
> made a commitment to spend up to $400 million over the next five
years on
> track upgrades and new rolling stock.
>
> http://www.thewest.com.au/20001031/news/state/tw-news-state-home-
sto9632.html

Hmm... I kinda wish Freight Australia (Aka Rail America) got the bid.
ASR/G & W aren't all that avocate towards railway industry, evidence
their attitude on Mt Gambier line. FA consortum also teamed with ARTC
which would have control the WA portion of the interstate line.

Whereas FA expand arcoss the state within very short time. Made profit,
reopen Bairnsdale line. Bidded for Mt Gambier line. Regularly appeared
on media(The Age/Herald Sun) to promote railway industry.

On the other hand ASR now gain control of most of the railway
operations in NT/WA/SA hopefully would makes easier to compete with
trucks rather then compete with other rail operaters.

--
Cheers

Railway Rasputin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/