Re: [WA] Minister denies Govt not committed to high-speed train

Dave Proctor wrote in message ...

>First time I have EVER heard Coach Class on the IP described as
comfortable.
>I had to do it in 12/98, as Holiday Class and First Class were full, and I
>was regretting it well before we got to Kalgoorlie (this was eastbound). As
>for Greyhound, I have travelled from Darwin to Perth on Greyhound, and it
is
>not as bad as you paint it to be. remember that coach drivers can only
drive
>for 5 hours without a break, so they schedule stops around every 3.5 to 4.5
>hours. that half hour break, to walk around on solid ground, use non-moving
>toilets, etc., can make a huge difference.

<snip>

This is one of the few times I have seen anything sensible said about bus
travel in this ng. Let's face it, sitting up in a train is just as
uncomfortable for long periods. If you want to travel in comfort by train,
it is best to take a sleeper but in this day of railways being operated for
profit (gasp!) sleepers need to be pretty expensive to turn a profit for the
operator.

BTW, Dave I still think you're mad. God gave us aeroplanes - a most
uncomfortable way for larger people to travel and extremely boring but
quick.

Barry Campbell