Re: Speedrail would have spin-off for border region

"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
39f0f165.9303890@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:39f0f165.9303890@can-news.tpg.com.au...

> Its a good argument , and a similar situation exists with Canberra
> becoming a dormitory suburb of Sydney as the travel times make it
> quite possible.
> What is conveniently ignored is that the fares for the high speed
> train make it totally untenable for commuting , either from Wagga to
> Melb or Canberra to Sydney.
> Would you pay in excess of $100 each way to go shopping in Melb from
> Wagga,or commute to Sydney from Canberra at a cool cost of $1000 per
> week.
> No one will,and for this reason hi speed trains will simply replace
> plane journeys.

Wanna bet? I took some people in my cab (part time job) from Leura to
Penrith, wait for 45 minutes whilst they went shopping, then back to Leura -
$104 for the fare, $30 for the waiting time, and a $40 tip. They do this
every fortnight.

Some people have more dollars than sense (like the guy who ordered a cab to
go to the local fruit & veg shop, to get 3 red chili's - 40c worth - and
deliver them to his place - an $8.80 delivery charge).

Dave