Re: Darwin railway deal signed

In article <39eedca2.4339329@news.chariot.net.au>,
  taliesin@chariot.net.au (Taliesin Walker) wrote:
> Good, I'm looking forward to taking the Ghan to Darwin!
>
> Tali
You will be happy to know that:

http://www.gsr.com.au/media_release_2000/darwin_ghan.htm

Great Southern Railway, owners of the world renowned tourist train The
Ghan, reconfirmed its commitment to extending the legendary train's
service to Darwin following the announcement that the construction of
the $1.2 billion Alice Springs-Darwin rail link is to proceed.

Great Southern Railway Chief Executive Office, Mr Stephen Bradford,
said the Federal, South Australian and Northern Territory Governments,
along with Asia Pacific Transport consortium, were to be congratulated
for their vision and commitment to the project.

"There has been numerous attempts to achieve this Alice Springs-Darwin
rail link over past decades, and it's a big feather in the caps of
Prime Minister John Howard, Premier John Olsen and Chief Minister Denis
Burke to succeed where many people before them have failed. Without
doube, this is a major development in the expansion of rail in
Australia," Mr Bradford said.

"It's full steam ahead as far as The Ghan is concerned. We're very
excited about extending the service to Darwin once the new line is
operational."

"Since it was mooted that the rail link was finally going to come to
fruition, we have been inundated with calls from Australian and
international holiday makers wanting to book their cabin aboard The
Ghan service to Darwin. It's going to deliver a major boost to the
South Australian and Northern Territory tourism," Mr Bradford said.

--
Cheers

Railway Rasputin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/