Re: Favor to ask

Dear Goldie

I originally come from Balga in Northern Perth. I can remember asking my dad
to drive up past the newly opened Moonline drive-in theatre in Wanneroo when
it first opened. Coincidentally my dad now lives in Wanneroo. Alas the
Moonline is no more.

In the early seventies I seem to remember about 20 or so suburban drive-ins
in Perth.

cheers peter

Goldie <goldicom@powerup.com.au> wrote in message 39ead31b@grissom">news:39ead31b@grissom...
> [...]
> drive-in
> > theatres. As you gunzellers travel all across the countryside spotting
> > trains it seems likely that you have visited many country towns and seen
> or
> > have even visited various drive-in theatres in years gone by. In this
> > respect your gunzelling experience is highly relevant to my question.
> >
> > Here is a list of known Victorian Drive-in Theatres (most now closed)
> >
> > Victoria
> >
> > Altona
> > Bairnsdale
> > Ballarat Skyline
> > Ballarat Village
> > Benalla
> > Bendigo
> > Birchip
> > Broadmeadows
> > Brooklyn
> > Bulleen
> > Burwood
> > Clayton
> > Casterton
> > Cobram
> > Coburg
> > Colac
> > Croydon
> > Dandenong
> > Dromana
> > Essendon
> > Echuca
> > Frankston
> > Geelong Village
> > Geelong Star
> > Grantville
> > Hamilton
> > Horsham
> > Inverloch
> > Kerang
> > Leongatha
> > Maribyrnong
> > Maryborough
> > Mildura Crossroads
> > Mildura Sixteenth St
> > Moe
> > Moorabbin
> > Morwell
> > Oakleigh
> > Portland
> > Preston Hoyts
> > Preston Northland
> > Reservoir
> > Robinvale
> > Rowville
> > Sale
> > Sandringham
> > Seymour
> > Shepparton
> > Stawell
> > Sunshine
> > Swan Hill
> > Terang
> > Toorak
> > Traralgon
> > Wangaratta
> > Wantirna
> > Warragul
> > Warrnambool
> > Wodonga
> > Yarrawonga
> >
> > The list is taken from the following page (which I highly recommend for
> > those so interested).
> >
> > http://www.drive-insdownunder.com.au/australian/vic1.htm
> >
> > Are you aware of any drive-in theatres that are missing from this list?
If
> > so I would be grateful if you could post a reply. My reason for asking
is
> > that when one looks at a Victorian map one see large areas of the state
> (eg
> > around Warracknabeal, Mansfield, Orbost, St Arnaud) which don't appear
> > have had a drive-in. I feel sure that one or two have been missed. It
> would
> > help the author of the page and myself no end to find one that we have
not
> > yet heard about.
> >
> > By way of making some sort of tentative link with railways for this post
> > am inclined to add that I have noticed that there is some similarity in
> > one's interest in closed railways to one's interest in closed drive-ins.
> > Since a very young age I have always had a fascination with major
services
> > (eg railways) that once performed a valuable service for the community
but
> > due to changes in society have outlived their usefulness and have
> > disappeared but have left their mark on the landscape, I can't drive
past
> an
> > abandoned railway without getting curious about when it ran, where it
went
> > to and when it was closed. Ditto for drive-in theatres.
> >
> > Finally it is interesting that the idea of trains and films were never
> > combined (to my knowledge) to create a train drive-in theatre ie a train
> > would take you a screen where you could watch the film from the train
> window
> > or alternatively hop out and watch from some seats near the screen.
Could