Re: [NSW] Olympic Park/City Railway Signalling Question

FIRST STOP CENTRAL provides no further information but implies a low speed
indication.

In purely practical terms, if the book is correct, I can see nothing
inherently dangerous in this situation as there was always intermediate
train stops and the best visibility for sighting the rear of the train
ahead.  It would have helped no end in clearing a backlog of trains.

My recollection is (and I can't swear on a stack of Airport Line timetables
that this is correct) that an 8 car single deck set was delayed at Wynyard's
platform 6.  The following train closed right up to the last signal before
entering the platform ( literally several metres behind the 1st train).  The
1st train departed slowly and before clearing the station the 2nd train was
just starting to enter the platform.  As I wrote this is years ago, I was
watching both ends of the platform (beat going straight to school after the
tooth doctor), I just remember being amazed at what I thought I'd witnessed.

I thought Railway Quiz (1966 ed.) may help but it doesn't explicitly.  It
does state "In order to reduce the effect of station stops on the headway of
trains, intermediate train stops are provided at all City stations, with the
exception of Museum.  If the signal at the end of the station is at 'low
speed' indication, then the train must pass the four train stops at a
maximum of 17 m.p.h. for the first two train stops, 12 m.p.h. for the third
and 9 m.p.h. past the last stop, otherwise the train will be brought to a
stand before reaching the end of the station."  Again "the end of the
station" is ambiguous, I assume it means on entry to the station.

As for the authors observing this, if they did so reliably then some
provision is made for this operation.

The signalling system dated back to the 1920s with trains of poorer
performance especially in acceleration.

Chris