Re: XPT Melb - Adelaide?

Sounds good

At 160kmh running (average) the Adelaide to Ballarat section could be done
in 4 hours p,lus 1 horu to Melbourne Total = 5 hours.

A footy fan in Adelaide could catch the footy express at 7.30 A.M (Adelaide
time) and arrive in Melbourne at 1.00 P.M. (Melb time) just in time to
change trains to go to a match at the MCG or walk over to Colonial stadium.
Return could leave at 6.00 P.M. arriving Adelaide at 10.30 P.M (Adelaide
time).

And vice versa for matches in Adelaide.

Given that concrete sleepers have been laid for much of the route to
Adelaide and there has been recent upgrading to allow trains to run at
reasonable speeds on the track surely it would not take too much to achieve
this sort of service? A 5 hour service would be very popular with footy fans
and might arguably spur development of a faster service if proven popular.

The recent improvements in travel times to Adelaide (and the daylight
service) have resulted in improved patronage. Is there hope of further
improvements? I think that once a service between Melbourne and Adelaide
gets down below 6 hours then patronage will rise significantly as it be
possible to do day trips return to the other capital. The average required
for Ballarat to Adelaide to achieve this is only 120 kph (assuming the hgih
speed link to Ballarat is built) - not a great jump.

cheers Peter

39eabddd$0$11628$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39eabddd$0$11628$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...