Re: Rail privatizations.

Not sure I agree with the premise here Maurie about the rapidly dwindling
cake.Sure NR has been doing it tough and has lost traffic to the other
operators, but this was bound to happen since NR was a monopoly interstate
and it would be unrealistic to expect a new player not to take some of that
share. Having said this, IIRC the transcon market share of rail has
increased overall since competition has come along and the private operators
you mention all seem to have taken some traffic back from road, ATN in Tas
in particular seem to have done this with FA and Austrac also reporting new
traffic that once was hauled by road.

It is difficult to tell what the overall picture is though since I am not
sure the private operators are required to publicly report their tonnage's
like the predecessor State owned ones did.

39e664c1.2251947@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:39e664c1.2251947@can-news.tpg.com.au...