QLD - Gunzelling In Brisbane

Furtther to my trip report..........

I have made a few trips to Brisbane and Queensland now (on average once a
year since 1995) and have photographed at Nerang to Kuranda and lots of
places in between. During this time (especially since reading newsgroup
aus.rail), I'd read a few reports of people having problems with QR staff
not letting them photograph and worse. Even on the QR website, they talk
about being accompanied by staff at a cost although I'm sure that many QR
based gunzels have not paid anything except the cost of their tickets.

This has not happened to me due to:

* As I am not based in Brisbane, I usually catch the train (so I use the
station or places within walking distance). I have a ticket so staff can not
object to me being on the premises if I have a ticket and am not causing a
disturbance to safety concern to others (like doing things like having a
tripod open at Central station during peak hour). I'm usually at the end of
the platforms out of anyone's way.

* I only have my camera out when I need it. I don't flash it around like a
badge of office. I'm not a teenager so I don't fit the photographing trains
= graffitist profile and I usually don't carry a backpack, only my camera
bag and bumbag.

* The further away from Brisbane you get, the less the problem is.

These tips might help you in your Brisbane photography - strictly a personal
view from a QR visitor. It is a bit weird that an operator that puts their
train numbers in public timetables object to gunzels so much (by a
generalised reputation) when compared to other operators. For those who have
not photographed in Brisbane, you will find many overhead bridges covered to
an unusable degree (photography wise) due to the high voltage overhead wires
(25000 volts). This also applies to Perth, by the way.

--
Eric
www.erk.au.com

This post was brought to you with