Re: [VIC] Dandenong Line Yesterday

> Well, I've learnt something.
>
> From what I observed, it stopped just after the red light, waited about 50
> seconds, then proceeded.
>
> However, this may have had something to with the close proximity of the
> Theiss staff, or possibly the police directing the trains through the
> crossing.

No you saw it correctly!
Electric Trains are fitted with the trips, automatic brake applications,
without the drivers intervention. All other trains require the Driver to
make the stop, but the Rule remains the same for all trains.
The Driver must stop at the Red signal. If it is an Automatic [or
Permissive] signal he can proceed again if the track ahead is, or appears to
be clear. He must travel at a speed that enables him to stop short of any
obstruction [train, broken rail, or anything else that would endanger his
train.] That would mean a very slow approach to a blind corner or tunnel,
but he might pick it up a little on the straight, given clear conditions.
Hope this helps...
Rod [comtrain]