Re: [Vic] Geelong Line CLOSED

In article <39E2EB29.D1B71415@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au>,
  remove VICSIG <> wrote:

> You can run via Broken Hill (take an extra day, but it is better than
> waiting for a week or more)
>
>> The sooner the whole Victorian network is converted to SG the
>> better.
>
> Yes, but if you look at what is planned cutting the Melbourne -
> Geelong part would have still blocked the line.

While it is easy for us to look at the Victorian network and bemoan the
loss of alternative routing - trains from Adelaide could have been
detoured via Ballarat, or even Maryborough and Castlemaine, we should
also consider the other end of the line.

A similar accident a similar distance from Adelaide would have crippled
Melbourne-Adelaide services even at the height of the rail network.
There was no alternative into Adelaide beyond Tailem Bend, other than
via Broken Hill, and what fun that would have been - involving
three changes of gauge and three changes of operator.

JD
--
John Dennis
Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway