Re: [NSW] - hilarious SMH article

"Alan Harper" <alan@lwd.net.au> wrote in message
39e08aa3$0$11623$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39e08aa3$0$11623$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> DeUC5.6498$wx5.226938@news2.giganews.com">news:DeUC5.6498$wx5.226938@news2.giganews.com...
> > "David Johnson" <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> > 39DBC8BA.B3D81956@ozemail.com.au">news:39DBC8BA.B3D81956@ozemail.com.au...
> > > Perhaps the Melbournites would like to comment re: their 20/40 minute
> > suburban
> > > timetables?  (Didn't they get rid of them?)
> >
> > They got rid of the 40's and made them 30's. There is plenty wrong with
> 40,
> > but 20 is better than 30.
> >
> 40min trains aren't quite gone from Melbourne yet. All day sunday on the
> Cranbourne/Pakenham lines are 40mins, but once they pass Dandenong are
timed
> to provide a 20min service. Also, Sunday evenings on the Frankston line
are
> 40mins.

Sunday evenings on all lines are 40 minutes. Also Sunday mornings until
about 10am on most western suburb lines.

See http://www.custard.net.au/pages/melbtransit/#ServiceLevels for my
little-used (but it still gets hits) summary.

> When trains are running every 20min I dont try to rememmber the
timetable...
> I dont mind waiting the 15mins (I can see trains leaving way before I get
> the station), but once there up to 30min timetables, I check the
timetable.
> I dont rememmber it, as I am fortunate enough to have 5 min walk to tafe
> everyday.

I remember enough of the timetable to minimise waiting at my local station
when going into the city. I don't usually bother to note times of trains
coming home, unless I'm going to be out late and I want to make sure I get
the last one (eg 12:18am from South Yarra).

Fortunately, the 20 minute times (Saturdays and Sunday 11am-7pm) match,
which makes it easy.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia