Re: [NSW] working timetable symbols

Hubert Lam wrote:

> Could someone explain what these symbols mean???

I'll try my best...

> * Whenever "Sutherland" or "Blacktown" shows up, it has a {BCH} and a double
> cross-like character next to it. This character also shows next to Port
> Kembla, Pt Kembla N, Scarborough,   Moss Vale etc. Also what does {BCH}
> mean?

Branch Line (eg. Blacktown - Richmond, Sutherland - Cronulla)

> * What is the whole idea of Exchange cars? I see at least one instance when
> Endeavours run from Broadmeadow to Sydney EMPTY on a 900 series run just to
> "exchange cars". Also when do they run in lengths of greater than 8 cars?

Don't forget Goninans is at Broadmeadow, they do maintenance there.

> * It's obvious what 8DD IC is (8 car V set, duh!) but the abbreviation IC
> itself strikes me. Is it InterCity?

Yes. They are actually called InterCity carriages (although many call
them InterUrbans or IU's).
You may have seen the sign at Flemington sheds (Lidcombe end) saying
"Home of the InterCity fleet".

> * Why are U sets still included in book 3 of the May 21 timetable? If they
> got rid of the W sets why do U sets still get a mention?

Dunno.

> * What are conditional trains (book 3 pg3)?

Trains that run only when required.

> thanks for the help

No worries :-)

--