Ararat-Melbourne on The Overland 6/10

 Had a look around Ararat and was amazed the number of trucks pass by
this town every few seconds or so. Back to the station for Overland
back to Melbourne. I was the only one waited at the lonely platform.
Train didn’t show up at the appropriate time. Only G536+G528+G537 with
a long grain train passed by.  Rang up GSR and found out the loco fail
somewhere along the line and would be 90 minutes late. Eventually BL27
(steel link)+AN5(NR) hauled the train into the platform. Consist:

BL27
AN5
Baggage
Club car no2
Coach
Coach
Kookaburra club car
Kookaburra Club car
Roomette
Twinette
Twinette
Twinette
Power car
motorail

This is the first time ever I tried out the coach class. I have been on
Overland about a dozen times but never on a coach class. The seats are
very comfortable, much better then VLP’s first class sitter. More
easier to sleep in these seats then other type of trains. However the
position of the seats somewhat too low to view outside the window.
Interesting enough there are 2 luggage ranks overhead! Club car no. 2
still looked new and fresh, strangely the 2 glass walls have been
removed?? The refurbishment last year did not include refurbish this
carriage(nor Club car No 3) therefore the announcement can’t be hear in
this carriage. The conductor had to make announcements at Kookaburra
club car and run back to this carriage to tell what he just told to the
rest of the trainļ. The staffs were tried to cheer up passengers by
complimentary en route history/scenery and telling jokes even reduced
the price for food and drinks. Conductor went to every carriage and
asked if any passenger have hotel connections and reservation as he
would ring up the hotel to rearrange connection for the passengers.
Food/drinks available in the club car somewhat lack of choice but taste
a lot better then XPT food. Coach class passengers also are more
diverse then first class sleeper from what I see. The train didn’t
managed to pick up the lost time due to following the grain train, as
well as waited at the loop and conductor keep apologised alone the way!
Eventually arrived Spencer Street at 1030pm. Most passengers in coach
class didn’t seems to worry the delay as the staffs keep them well
informed and relaxed.

--
Cheers

RR3