Re: Today (Sat) on 22 plat. Central

In article <39DBC666.38EC19A1@ozemail.com.au>,
  trainman@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> Tezza wrote:
>
> > > PS. The reason we put Intermediate Trainstops in is so you drivers
> > > don't become the meat in a metal sandwich. So don't try and beat
the
> > > system 'cause it's your life.
> >
> > In most places I've seen them, I'd consider them totally
unnecessary.

> A good example of this is Mortdale on the down.   You get a low speed
on the
> home before the platform (which is conditional clearing), then an
> intermediate trip at the start of the platform.  This stays up, even
if the
> calling on is cleared at the departure end of the platform for a
movement
> into the sheds.  The trip on the calling on is down, while the
intermediate
> trip in the rear is up!  This allows a train after passing the
intermediate
> trip to accelerate considerably before the calling on.   Seems a bit
> backwards to me.
>
> --
> David Johnson
> trainman@ozemail.com.au
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/
> ------------------------------------
> These comments are made in a private
> capacity and do not represent the
> official view of State Rail.
> C.O.W.S. Page 11.

I agree. The forward route should suppress the ITS as you've driven
it's trainstop down so therefore what's the point of having the ITS up.
This sounds like an anomoly in design. It's not wrong side but it would
look odd to a driver. If you consider Hornsby, which I designed, the
ITS on Platform 2 is suppressed by the forward route set. Also I've
designed the ITS's at Dapto and the new CTC stations for the Dapto to
Kiama Elec project to suppress when the forward route is set. So the
ITS in the example you've given is still necessary (for when the
forward route is not set) however it should be suppressed when the
forward route is set. However since I wasn't involved in the design of
that place I can't speak for the designer who may have had other
reasons for doing it this way.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/