Re: [NSW] Tangara braking - was: Today (Sat) on 22 plat. Central

"Chris Downs"
> David & Tezza,
>
> Is this because of a slower application rate and no blended
> regenerative/rheostatic braking or are there other reasons?

It applies quicker as it dumps the brake pipe fairly quickly, but with no
regen or ep, it takes a lot longer to stop.

> How would service versus emergency applications compare at 115km/h when the
> slower application rate is less of an issue?

Emergency applies quicker but is less effective, whatever the speed. Regen is
more effective under 72kmh than it is over 72kmh. If the brake handle is used
carefully, a bit of brake pipe air can be exhausted to increase brake cylinder
pressure without dropping out regen and ep.