Re: Today (Sat) on 22 plat. Central

Melbourne trains vary in size , our cars are longer, but limited to 6 long
in peak.
Our platforms are just like Sydney, curved, straight and blind with road
bridges etc obscuring our view.
Where necessary we have mirrors placed strategically to view the side of the
train.
Most places have banks of Video Monitors  placed where the Driver can see,
showing the whole train. These work very well, and are protected in steel
boxes with steel shutters that open when a train approaches and close again
when it departs.
The driver has communication with the passengers [one way]
He also has alarms which tell him when the doors are not secured.
Trains are now being fitted with TV cameras which can be monitored by the
Driver. Emergency buttons in the cars activate the correct cameras
Video can be stored to use in identification of offenders, etc etc
Best thing we ever did, getting rid of the guards. We can now employ more
useful people like ticket inspectors, to help with collecting enough to run
the system. And our new pay scales are pretty good as well
;o)

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

"Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
39d706fd$1$26529$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39d706fd$1$26529$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "Samuel Eades" .

> > > Hoy! No swearing here please. You watch the SPADS increase the day
they
> > introduce DOO on Cityrail. With the Driver trying to Drive,
> > > watch TV screens and signals at the same time, it's a disaster in the
> > making.
> >
> > I'm sure a lot of Victorian drivers thought the same thing just before
DOO
> > was introduced in Victoria. Personally, I like the idea of having a
guard on
> > the train, but a lot of them are their own worst enemy. A lot of them
(yes,
> > I know there are quite a few good ones) are lazy or incompetent, or just
> > slip up sometimes (as indicated in this post.
> > Talking to the Victorian spark drivers, they think that getting rid of
the
> > guards is one of the best things that has happened to them.
>
> I've been told that Melbourne trains aren't as long and that the platforms
are straight. Do you use in cab CCTV?